суббота, 6 октября 2007 г.

mutantwatch: TM Prompt #199: You've woken up as the opposite sex this morning... now what?

The egalitarian in me wants to say that it wouldn't affect my life very much at all. After all, whether I wake up as male or female, black or white from one day to the next should have no impact on my job, my wages, my legal rights, or how people treat me. But that, sadly, is not how the world works. We have prejudices about other people. We probably have prejudices about ourselves, too. There might be advantages to being female. People tend to assume that you're a more caring person. They don't think you're gay if you kiss your male friends. They don't mind if you talk to their children at the playpark. But, then, I don't think I could tolerate the other assumptions: the idea that you're overly emotional, that you're not as smart, that you can't drive. Much less the lower wages in many jobs, the control men have over women in many circumstances, the idea that women cannot speak for themselves. I wish these were all archaic concepts. One day soon we may have a female President, and there will still be girls being bought and sold like cattle. I suppose that seeing the world from another perspective might help my political convictions. On a personal level, though, I can't see that things would be anything but awkward. However much K. might love me for my personality, the physical aspect definitely helps. And there's something about being a child's father that, regardless of social equality, is always going to be different to being a child's mother. So, I suppose the bottom line is that I'd cope... But probably not particularly well. The fact that this could summarize my life as a man isn't very reassuring.

Комментариев нет: